Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Walking Multiple Dogs

In a previous post (here), I talked about the importance of regular walks for your dogs.  As I said then, few things will do more to make both your life and your dog's more enjoyable than a nice walk every morning.  But what do you do if you have more than one dog?

I walk - or run - with both my dogs almost every day.  They're both large dogs, but they are fairly well-behaved most of the time.  I've had people ask me how I manage with two big dogs on lead at the same time.  I hadn't given it much thought before, but it occurs to me there are a few tips that help to make a success of walking two dogs at the same time:

  • Every problem you have with your dog isn't doubled with two dogs - it's squared, so your dogs have to have at least a little bit of leash training.  My dogs, Kodak and Cassie, are very good on a leash individually, but do have a couple of  issues.  Cassie has a bad reaction to strange dogs on a leash - she'll bark and growl like crazy at times, but she stays pretty reliably on my left side, and will sit or "place" really well on commnad.  Kodak whines when Cassie gets wound up, but doesn't pull at the other dog too badly.  His big problem on a leash is, when he gets nervous, he'll want to get right behind me - often running into the back of my leg and tripping me up.  It's not a big problem, but you have to be aware of it.  Cassie doesn't pull badly, except when she gets excited.  When she does pull, she's incredibly strong.  Kodak doesn't pull at all, but he can be hard to move when he decides it is time to pee!  Combine all these minor issues when walking two dogs at once, and you've got a handful - so it's really important to work hard at overcoming your dog's issues before you start combining them.
  • Don't use a retractable leash with multiple dogs.  I'm not a big fan of these leashes anyway, for normal walks - especially with large dogs.  I don't feel you have enough control of your dog, and a large, strong dog can get up too much momentum if they get a running start.  Save the long retractable leashes for the beach or park, and use a standard, 6' leather or nylon leash for walks.  Once your dog gets used to it, they'll be fine.
  • When you teach your dog to walk on a leash, teach him to walk on one side of you.   It doesn't really matter WHICH side you prefer, as long as you're consistent.  I prefer the dog on my left, so I have my right free to carry something, open doors, or - in a pinch - grab a dog to make her behave.  Teach all your dogs to walk on the same side - it will be much easier when you get them together.
  • When you walk two dogs, hold the leash with the same hand.  They may tangle themselves a bit, but usually they won't be too bad.  I don't walk with a leash in each hand - I think it's dangerous,since you don't have a free hand to catch yourself if you fall, and if the dogs cross over and tangle themselves, you can be literally tied in knots!
  • I don't make the dogs walk in "heel" position, but they shouldn't pull, and you should be the one who decides where you are going.  If they start to pull, just stop - they'll jerk at the end of the leash, then most likely turn around to see what you're doing. 
  • Be prepared for at least a little hassle.  Unless your dogs are exceptionally well trained, there will be times when they pull, get tangled, or misbehave in some way.  Relax!  Get it straightened out, and continue your walk.  Remember, problems with multiple dogs grow exponentially - 4 times the trouble with 2 dogs, 9 times the trouble with 3!  Walking your dog isn't about perfection - it's about all of you getting some fresh air, excercise, and stress relief.
  • Consider having a person per dog.  If you have a spouse or exercise partner, you should at least think about having that person walk one of the dogs.  It'll be easier for you and might be more fun for the dogs.  Who knows, it might even be great fun for  your dog-less partner! 
  • At some point, you may have to just muscle your dogs into compliance.  I know, we shouldn't have to do it - all of our dogs should be so well trained that they behave properly in every situation.  Welcome to reality - our dogs, kids, computers, and cars sometimes let us down.  So what?  Set your heels in the ground, hold the dogs back, and get control of the situation.  If your dogs are too much for you to handle physically, you need to be absolutely positive they won't break free, or you shouldn't walk them together.  In some cases, you may have to use a prong collar, or a similar training aid, to get the results you need.
Most of the above applies if you're handling more than two dogs.  Be aware, however, than 3 or 4 dogs, unless they're very small, are usually going to be more than one person can handle.  At one time, I would occasionally walk my two dogs along with my daughter's dog.  It was OK, but one of the dogs was Charlie, who was almost perfect on a leash.  I would be much more cautious about trying it with 3 normal dogs, except under fairly controlled circumstances.

Walking two dogs at the same time isn't impossible, and it's a lot better than keeping them separate.  While it's a bit more hassle than a single dog, it can be very rewarding, once you've prepared yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment