Search This Blog

Thursday, February 16, 2012

I'm Number One! (well, kind of, not really)

A few days ago, I received the award for Most Listings taken in December of last year for my office.  I've done well in Real Estate (I've received a "Gold" level sales award every year since I've been in the business), but it's unusual for me to end up #1 in a sales category.  Sometimes, everything comes together at the same time.  It's pleasing to me, but not the biggest thing in my life.

My goal in real estate has never been to be the biggest, even in my own office.  Don't get me wrong - I like being successful, and I'm competitive enough to want to win almost everything I do.   I definitely want to be the BEST real estate agent in town - but best isn't necessarily the same as the biggest!  I'd certainly LIKE to sell five times as much as I do (and feel free to call me if you want to buy or sell!), but I don't think I can do that kind of volume, provide great service to my clients, AND have the kind of life I want. 

When I got into real estate, I assumed it would be pretty easy - show a few homes, write contracts, and rake in the big bucks.  What I didn't realize was that most of the work STARTS after the contract is written - inspections, negotiations (both before and after the contract is in place), contractual deadlines, and just general firefighting!  I'm always the most busy when I have several deals in the works - showing homes to buyers is the easy (and fun) part.  Since many of my transactions tend to be for less expensive properties, I may have more deals in the works than other agents who sell as much or more than I - I suspect I spend more time on my average transaction than some other agents.  That's OK - it's just the way I do business.

I'm not in Real Estate as a hobby - this is my career - so I do want to be successful.  I feel that by providing the best service I can, I'll serve the interests of my clients and grow my business through referrals from people I've helped in the past.  When people recommend me to their family and friends who are thinking of making a move it helps me to grow my business, and they'll know they've helped them get effective representation for their real estate needs.

When I get an award, I'll let you know about it, but it's not what I'm really all about.  I'll keep doing what I do, and when I end up with a plaque, there will be plenty of room for it on the wall in my office!

1 comment: