Search This Blog

Monday, January 21, 2013

Mike Johanns Responds to Me! (Kind Of)

A month ago or so, I posted about Nebraska's Mike Johanns and his vote against the U.N. Disabilities Treaty.  At the time, his justification for his cowardly vote was his supposed concern for the sovereignty of our country - a flimsy excuse at best.  I also noted that I had sent him a critical email, but didn't expect an apology, or even a response, from him.

I have to admit, I was wrong!  Checking the mail after the first of the year, I noticed a letter, addressed to me, explaining his vote.   I should note, the letter had my name on it, and it addressed my concerns, but it was a form letter.  Apparently, Johanns got enough complaints about his vote that a response was prepared.

In any case, reading the letter was enlightening.  I  now discover that his vote was not his fault - it was Harry Reid's fault!  Wow, Reid is something, isn't he?  He's such a scary character - you can just picture republicans all over the country scaring their kids with, "If you're not good, Harry Reid will get you"!  Johanns now says he voted against the treaty because he told Reid not to bring up any treaties before the end of the session, since there  wouldn't be time to read and study them adequately.  Riiiiight........ I'm certain that's the reason - it couldn't be that you're a cowardly hypocrite who doesn't have the guts to just come out and say you did what you did for purely political reasons.

In reality, the treaty had nothing to do with U.S. sovereignty, and everything to do with a Republican party playing to their base.  Voting against it had nothing to do with Harry Reid, and everything to do with avoiding a primary challenge from the right.  Mike Johanns should save the effort, and quit trying to convince me he's trying to do his job.

1 comment:

  1. "Apparently, Johanns got enough complaints about his vote that a response was prepared."

    At least that's a good sign, here in Nebraska, wouldn't you say? Nice job, Gregg!

    ReplyDelete