Search This Blog

Thursday, October 25, 2012

The New iPad - Review

There was a time when I was reasonably up to date on the latest tech gadgets.  Those days, unfortunately, are long gone.  I do have a smart phone, and I can still make my computer work (usually), but I no longer lust after all things electronic.

In my job as a realtor, I have a need to access data in a more or less real-time manner.  While my Android smart phone is great, it has limitations, particularly when it comes to displaying data.  After much thought, I decided it was time for a tablet.

Theresa has been wanting an iPad for some time now.  I'd been dragging my feet, mainly because I couldn't decide exactly what I needed (an iPad, or an Android Tablet?; 3G data access or wifi only?; how much storage?;  and so on).  I also wasn't sure I wanted to spend all that money for something that could turn out to be just a toy.

After having a great sales month, I decided it was probably time to do something - especially since Theresa was saying she wanted to just go get one.  Rather than do that, I decided to go ahead and pick one out for each of us.  Now all I had to do was decide exactly what to get!

I quickly determined we should get a "real" iPad, instead of one of the cheaper alternatives.  I had a small (about half size) tablet that ran the Android system.  Although it worked OK, I knew from experience that the operating system wasn't as stable as I would like (my phone acts up with disturbing regularity).  I'd been told by iPad users that their tablets were very stable, and, when it comes to computers, stability is good.

The iPad comes in various combinations of storage capacity and data access.  You can get 16, 32, or 64 gigabytes of storage - an obscene amount compared to the limitations of the original personal computers.  Each of these models was available in both 4G and wifi, or wifi only versions.  In addition, if you choose a 4G unit, you could choose between Verizon or AT&T as your data carrier.  That's too many options, especially when you don't even know how you're going to use the tablet!

I knew I'd use the broader data access of the 4G unit, since I planned to use it when I was away from common wifi access points.  Since the data plans don't require a contract, the only downside to choosing this feature is the initial price - about $130 extra.  Since Theresa and I could share a data connection, the extra cost was easily justified for both units.

I really wasn't sure how much storage we'd need.  I didn't think I'd download a bunch of movies or other media - the most common way to fill up your machine - but I wasn't sure.  Theresa would probably do a little more of that, but I didn't really think she'd get carried away, either.  The iPad isn't upgradeable, but online (iCloud) storage is available.  Although I suspect 16 gig would be plenty for either of us, I decided to drop the extra $100 to upgrade to 32 gigabytes, "just in case". 

I also quickly decided to resist the temptation to purchase the older "iPad 2" at a discount, and get the current model.  All of this meant each of my two iPads would cost roughly $730 each, instead of closer to $500.  After buying a couple of covers and a few apps, my total expense was around $1,600 for two iPads.  Our data plan, giving us 4 gigabytes of data when we're out of wifi range, will end up costing between $40 and $50 per month.

So, now that I have one of these things, what do I think?  The iPad is most often used for two tasks - media and communication - and it does both of those tasks extremely well.  After downloading the free Netflix app (there are also free apps for Pandora, Hulu, Crackle, etc), I could watch any number of movies or TV shows, as well as listen to music, comedy, or whatever else I was looking for.  With the data access, you could also access YouTube almost anywhere.  The iPad screen is large enough, when it's sitting on your lap, to comfortably watch and enjoy without the need to find your reading glasses.  The sound, although nothing spectacular with the built-in speakers, is adequate.  If you want really good sound, you'll probably want a set of ear buds (or play it through your car's radio or home speaker system).  In the unlikely event you still read actual books, the iPad makes a fine e-reader (of course, it also can play audible books).

The iPad really excels at communication.  You are always just one click away from your email, and you can use "Face Time" to video chat with friends who have an iPad, iPod, or iPhone.  Skype is available if you still associate with the poor unfortunates in the PC world.  I've discovered that, although my email works fine on my smart phone, the iPad is far superior if you need to respond, check a link, or view an attachment.

How about other tasks?  Since I got this primarily as a business tool, how does it do in that field?  Is it a toy, or a tool?  As a business tool, tablets have their place.  They're not ready to replace your desktop for serious work - you wouldn't want to type a lengthy document, or create a presentation on one of these things, although is could conceivably be done.  That's not what they're designed to do.  You could, however, easily review a document of almost any length, and make modifications, if necessary.  You can find apps to do almost anything you need, many of which are either free or nearly so.  The iPad, while not quite the same as a laptop, is probably all you need to stay in touch or keep up with the office while you're traveling.

I'm still getting set up to use the iPad in real estate, but it looks like it has some possibilities there, too.  I've located apps that will let me load contracts, edit them, and get signatures - all without resorting to paper and ink.  I could, with a little fumbling, write an entire contract, get it signed, and email it to another agent, all from my iPad.  I suspect that will be rare, but I'll frequently get final signatures or complete an addendum or counter-offer using just the tablet.  The iPad will also work quite well for sales presentations, supplementing - rather than replacing - my printed materials.

If you stay home all day, sitting at your desk staring at your desk top computer, don't buy an iPad - it would be a poor substitute for a "real computer".  If, however, you are frequently out and about and need (or want) to maintain your online presence at all times, you'll want to check it out.  If your job takes you out of the office, it might be for you.  If you travel, and want a small device for entertainment and/or business, it's an option.  If you just like to try new gadgets, you shouldn't be reading this - you're already on your third iPad!

3 comments: