Search This Blog

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Movie Review - "People Will Talk"

I'm a big Cary Grant fan - I love all his old movies, many of which are classics - check out Father Goose or Bringing Up Baby if you want a lighthearted romantic comedy.  A couple of my other favorites are Operation Petticoat (a WWII comedy) and Arsenic and Old Lace.  Of course, my tastes run to screwball comedies.  If you like something with a little suspense, you might like North by Northwest or Notorious - they're both good, and stand up when compared to more modern movies.

I was browsing the movies on Netflix, looking for something to kill a couple of hours, when I noticed a Cary Grant movie that was unknown to me:  People Will Talk.  The movie was made in 1951, but it has the look and feel of a 40's film.  It's billed as a comedy, but it has some touching moments.

Grant plays Dr. Noah Praetorius, an doctor/teacher who is unconventional and at odds with Professor Elwell, a nasty little man who is determined to cause trouble.  Elwell is played by Hume Cronyn, a character actor that's been in a bunch of shows - you might recognize him from Cocoon.

While this is not Grant's best work, it's an interesting movie for a couple of reasons.  Most unusual for a romantic comedy of its era, the love interest (Deborah Higgins, played with some depth by Jeanne Crain) is an unmarried, pregnant woman.  The father of her child, who she "didn't know well enough", didn't know about the pregnancy, and was killed in the service.  I was shocked that this subject was handled reasonably, and without moralizing or contorting the plot to remove any responsibility for her actions.  I've never seen Crain in anything else (or if I did, I didn't recognize her), but she did a nice job here.  I loved the scene where she realizes Dr. Praetorious is in love with her - you can see her transformed in that instant from a scared girl to a woman who knows she's got him right where she wants him.  It was a small, but nice, moment in the film.

Although the romance is a big part of the story, there's no real conflict there.  From the moment you see them, you know how that part is going to turn out - and there's no "boy loses girl" part of the story.  The conflict in the plot is due to the actions of Professor Elwell, and involves Dr. Praetorius' companion, Mr. Shunderson (Finlay Currie).   There's something a little odd about Shunderson, and we can't quite figure it out until the climax.  I won't spoil it here, other than to say it's an odd and touching story.  Shunderson puts Elwell in his place convincingly at the end - I would have given him a standing ovation, except for the fact I was alone in my basement at the time (and, of course, being dead, Currie wouldn't have appreciated it, anyway).

If you've got a little time, and you want to watch an unusual, classic movie, give this one a try.  It's not rolling-on-the-floor funny, but you'll get a couple of chuckles.  You may also think a bit about human relationships, and just what it is that makes a person worthwhile.

1 comment: