Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The President Supports Marriage Equality!

Barack Obama, in an interview today, came out in favor of allowing same-sex couples to marry.  While his announcement doesn't change anything, it is an important step towards equal rights in this country - the President, the leader of the free world, has taken a principled stand.

I haven't agreed with everything President Obama has done - in particular, I'd have liked to see both of the wars ended in his first term - but I have always admired him as a man.  The contrast between Obama and Romney couldn't be clearer - Romney stands for nothing other than his desire to be elected.

Already, I hear complaints from the Left - "this doesn't go far enough", "he should have done this earlier", "He should push for a federal solution", etc.  I even agree with some of these complaints - but look at the circumstances.  This statement comes in an election year - one in which he faces a very beatable opponent - and, while it may energize the base, does nothing to broaden his support.  I believe most voters who support gay marriage are already in his camp.  Furthermore, this may serve to fire up the socially conservative Republican base - a group that was largely uninspired by Mitt Romney.  This statement may not be perfect, but it's a courageous stand, taken at a difficult time for the president.

I don't see a large political upside for the president in all this, but history will record this as a milestone.  For the first time, a major political party in the United States will officially endorse marriage equality.  If Obama loses the election due to this - I don't think he will - he's earned my respect.  He'll never read this, but I'll say it anyway:

Thank you, Mr. President. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree, Gregg. Our nation is still very split on this, and it might hurt him in swing states, in particular. I hope not, but it was still a courageous stance.

    ReplyDelete