Search This Blog

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Book Review - Brain Twister

I have never been a big fan of audio books, but lately we've been listening to some books while we travel (mainly Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series), and it really does help to make the trip go faster.  These are light hearted adventure/romance novels - more funny than suspenseful.

Recently, I made a trip by myself.  Rather than continue the book Theresa and I had started, I decided to download something different that she might not appreciate.  I had access to download some free audio books from LibriVox, so I figured I could find something I'd like.  Since I like old science fiction, I looked through the selections of that genre, and picked Brain Twister, by Mark Phillips.  Mark Phillips is actually a pseudonym for two writers - Randall Garrett and Laurence M. Janifer, who collaborated on this book.

Many old science fiction books are not great, so I wasn't expecting much when I started to listen to it.  Before I could get into the story, I had to become accustomed to the reader.  Some of the mannerisms I found annoying - especially a couple of the voices used for different characters - but soon got used to it and it didn't bother me at all before long.

The story revolves around an FBI agent, Kenneth Malone, who is assigned the task of finding a telepathic spy.  Since there are no known telepaths in the world, he has to find one - searching from one insane asylum to the next - ending up with a gang ranging from the delusional to the catatonic.  The highest-functioning of the group is a little old lady who just happens to think she's immortal.  Oh, yeah - she also believes she's Queen Elizabeth the First!  Of course, the only way to get her cooperation is to humor her, and she leads the FBI around by the nose.

Malone is a stereotypical tough-guy G-Man - hard drinking, lady killer, and all that - but he's never quite in control of this caper.  I love it when the too-good-to-be-true hero struggles to keep it together.   Brain Twister is a pleasant story, with a nice mystery and a clever twist at the end.  There's not a ton of action, but it's funny, and the characters are interesting and likable, so it holds your attention.  If you're looking for something light and entertaining, it's worth checking out.

Brain Twister received a Hugo nomination in 1960, so there are a few things that don't fit in this world - I don't recall an "atomic rocket to the moon" - but those are incidental to the story.  For the most part, the plot works, and could be set in any decade easily enough.  The most obvious signs that this was written in the middle of the last century lie mainly in the lack of strong women or minority characters - except of course for "Queen Elizabeth". 

The audio book format won't ever replace the printed version, at least for me.  It does, however, provide a pleasant way to pass the time while you're mowing the lawn, driving, or engaged in some similar activity that won't allow you to read.  LibriVox is a great way to try it out without spending any cash, and most new releases are available for a fee at iTunes, or similar sources.

 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun, Gregg. I haven't read anything by "Mark Phillips," but I'm a fan of Randall Garrett's other work - what I've read of it, at least. (I'm not as familiar with Janifer, though I do have one of his books.)

    I tend to have trouble concentrating on audio books, but yes, they'd be perfect for a long trip.

    ReplyDelete