Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My New Fitness Buddy!

At one time not too many years ago, I was in pretty good shape.  4 or 5 mornings per week, I'd get up early and run anywhere from 3 to 6 miles.  On Sunday, I'd do my long run - somewhere between 6 and 20 miles, depending on my goals and fitness level.  I've always liked to eat, so I was never rail  thin, but I was reasonably lean and fit.  During this period of my life, I avoided the really bad foods, but didn't really worry about counting calories.

Unfortunately, a series of injuries has limited my ability to run long distances, and the resulting weight gain has made it harder yet to exercise.  I've fallen into some bad dietary habits, resulting in further weight, and even less exercise.  Lately, I've decided I need to get into a little better shape, so I'm trying to watch my diet and exercise at least a little more.

One tool I've discovered is a nifty web site - My Fitness Pal.  The web site syncs automatically with a free smart phone app, and tracks your diet and exercise.  There is a large database of food containing calorie counts and other nutritional information, including many restaurant menus.  If you can't find what you're looking for, it's easy to add foods on the fly.  You can save your common meals, and even input recipes to aid in measuring nutrition.  Best of all, it's free!

One thing I like about the software is it looks at both activity and food intake, lets you set a goal, then tells you how you're doing every day.  Obviously, the calories assigned to both food and exercise are estimated, but it gives you a reasonable approximation that helps keep you on track.  Just having to log your food makes you think about it, and you can see how exercising allows you to eat more (that won me over!).

There are some simple reports, displaying your caloric intake or weight loss graphically, but the biggest value is being able to measure your input and exercise.  It sets up a plan for you to lose one pound per week - a sensible weight loss. 

There's no such thing as a sure-fire weight loss trick.  It all comes down to controlling your diet and developing a habit of regular, fat-burning exercise.  Towards that end, My Fitness Pal can be an effective tool to help you modify your behavior.  If you're losing the "Battle of the Bulge", visit the web site, download the app, and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment