Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Installing Vinyl Replacement Windows - Part One, Making the Decision

Our home was built in 1962.  Considering it's age, and the standards in effect when it was built, it's a great home - fairly tight and energy efficient.  Our windows were mainly double-hung, wooden, single pane windows, with older, not-too-high quality aluminum combination storm windows (an upgrade from old storm windows which had to be changed out every spring and fall).  That means that in the winter, our windows frosted up, and it was notably cooler next to the window.  Worse, the combinations were so hard to operate that we usually either left the storm window open, or removed the sliding glass portion completely (which, of course, completely defeats the purpose of even having storm windows).

Initially, being concerned about how vinyl windows would look, I didn't want to replace them - I looked at replacing the aluminum storm windows with newer, more efficient, easier-operating ones.  Unfortunately, the storm windows I liked would cost around $200 per window - enough, considering all the adds for "$189 per window installed" I've seen, to make me consider other options.

Unfortunately, I discovered that those cheap replacement windows aren't really so cheap.  I decided that although I didn't need the ultimate in high efficiency, it didn't make sense to get windows that wouldn't at least qualify for the federal tax credit.  To my amazement, by the time the first quote was complete, it was over $20,000 to replace 14 double-hung windows and 7 casement windows!  Of course, this also included wrapping all the trim with aluminum, and a few other extras.  We quickly determined that we didn't need to replace all the windows - the casement windows were reasonably efficient, and didn't have storms on them anyway, so we dropped them off.  One double-hung in the basement was never opened, and could be just sealed up, and two windows in the garage were also not worth replacing.  Since our home was brick, we thought we could live without wrapping all the trim, so we dropped that out.  All these changes reduced the quote down to about $13,000 (to replace 13 double-hung windows).  This was from a reasonably high-quality supplier - not the ultra-cheap guys.

Although this quote looked better, it still was a big chunk of money, so I decided to take a look at the possibility of doing it myself.  After spending a bunch of time doing research on the internet, looking at lumber stores, and talking to others, it looked like I could do the job for around $225 per window - assuming I went with a mid-grade vinyl window (almond, not white), with the standard "Low E & Argon" construction that was required to meet the standards for the tax credit.  Even assuming my estimates for supplies, tools, etc were low - always a valid assumption when I'm planning a project - I was certain I could replace all 13 double-hung windows for under $4,000.

Having decided to tackle the job myself, now it was time to decide which window to order.   Options for do-it-yourself replacement windows range from around $100 for super cheap sliders or single hung windows to $800 or more for aluminum clad wooden windows.  Since we were looking at vinyl double-hung windows, we ruled out the super expensive ones.  I don't believe it makes good sense to order the very cheapest in almost anything, so I eliminated the super cheapies.  For ease of ordering, I looked at all the big box stores - Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards.  I also checked out 84 Lumber and a couple of smaller stores.  I ultimately decided to go with American Craftsman windows from Home Depot.  I chose the "8500" series - a notch above their "Builder Grade".  I was impressed with the look and feel of these windows in the showroom, and I just liked them better than Jeld Wen, Reliabilt, and a couple of other brands I looked at.

On a side note, if you read any "Do it Yourself" forums, you'll see plenty of bad things about the big box stores, and every product they sell.  That doesn't match my experience in general, and definitely not with these windows.  You do need to do your homework, since the staff at Home Depot may not know everything you need to know, but they try to be helpful, and I thought these windows were top notch.  I'm certain you can buy better windows, but I believe the windows I installed were at least as good as some others I saw that were twice the cost.

Having decided to do the job, and which windows to buy, I was now ready to order and install them.  In future posts, I'll describe my experience in measuring, ordering, and installing replacement windows.

15 comments:

  1. Nice post and I get some info and thoughts here how do I apply window replacement houston in my self. Nice blog title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily, the publish is really the greatest on this laudable topic. I concur with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your future updates. Saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantastic lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business enterprise!


    Replacement Windows

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this valuable information!!!

    Looking forward for more informational posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great information you have..i know the outcome would be look great..i would love to see the finished one..looks like its very interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there! great post. Thanks for sharing a very interesting and informative content, it is a big help to me and to others as well, keep it up!
    Not only are replacement windows affordable – they can even pay for themselves thanks to the savings they provide on your heating and cooling bills over the life of the new windows. Vinyl is, in many cases, more durable than wood and can provide an easy and affordable updated look to your home. windows nh

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am searching some useful information, immediately i found this post and gain some useful information great work such a great brain to use...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How are these windows holding up? I am considering buying some of these for my house, but it seems like all over the Internet people have complaints about the seals failing and the windows generally falling apart after a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't see any issues with them. Many of the negative comments come from people who don't like ANYTHING from Home Depot. These windows are very well made, I'd use them again.

    We've retired to Arizona, so I no longer live with them, but they were in perfect condition as long as we lived there. No air or water leakage, no fogging glass, nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great! If you can get to it, then its fine. No fuss; no hustles. And I'm sure you guys did a swell job; we couldn't wait to read about the journey. Some people aren't up for this, though, and would need to call in a window replacement fella, or two. But some can go about this by their lonesome just fine, and in that case, well, awesome!


    DialOneWindows.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Li, it would be great if one can put up their own window replacement. However just as what Li stated, some may not have the knowledge or skills to do so. This is where professionals come in. How're your windows now?

    James Green @ Ohio Exteriors

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be great if you hire a professionals for your windows. A professional window installers are trained with a high skill level in this ability is necessary for it to be done properly. A poorly installed window can end up being the cause of a lot of trouble, not only financially, but also in terms of your safety and security, creating easy entry points for intruders and animals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making decision is indeed the first step in replacing windows, there are lots to consider what is the type to use and materials. If you are clueless what is the best fit for your windows or even doors you can contact your local window and doors installer


    Thanks,
    Nancy
    http://www.windowplanet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. You describe very useful information on Vinyl Window. It really help buyers a lot to choose the suitable Window Style. It help me a lot...

    Regards
    Vinyl Windows Replacement

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is very interesting that replacing windows might not save you that much money.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good read. Window replacement represents one of the more substantial investments you can make in your home. The replacement of old or under-performing windows can effectively reduce your monthly utility costs and give your home a bit more curb appeal. 

    ReplyDelete